Notorious Big Aka Biggie Smalls (or Biggie) is a rapper from the 1990’s who made a huge impact of music in that era. Biggie was also murdered in the same era in which he rapped, turning him into a rap god and immortalizing him forever.
Big, rapped about rather unscrupulous things that I am truly not interested in, however he did have the occasional song that showed he had a warm side. Those songs have had more of an impact on me. Particularly “Sky’s The Limit” “Juicy” and “Suicidal Tendencies”
After recently reading an article on Biggie that highlights Notorious Big’s lyrics about food, I was inspired to create a dish based on these lyrics:
“A T-bone Steak, Cheese, Eggs and Whelch’s Grape. “
I’m not going to give my interpretation of the lyrics, but rather take those lyrics, and try to make them into a creative dish.
This is what I came up with:
Broiled hangar steak, poached eggs with a red wine-grape reduction topped with shaved pecorino romano cheese.
The T-bone steak is represented by the hangar steak.
The eggs are poached eggs
The cheese is shaved pecorino romano cheese
The Whelch’s grape is a red wine-grape reduction sauce.
I’ve decided to make this into a series, where I will take a set of lyrics based on food and attempt to create a dish from the lyrics. However I don’t have a name for it, need to come up with something clever..
I’m thinking maybe “food for thought”
- I had alot of fun with this, I while I was shopping, I visualized the ingredients on the plate.
- Actually, I purchased a Portabello mushroom to use, but I forgot I had purchased it.
- This made me realize that even though Hangar steak has the same marbling as Fillet Minion, it has the texture of flank steak.
- This is just one man’s opinion of the lyrics and the artist.
- This was my first time cooking poached eggs, I found it rather fun to swirl water and watch the eggs being cooked.
- I HATE the way I “sauced” this plate. Ugh