The history of S’mores is clouded and unverified. The original recipe dates back to 1927 (on paper, in the form of a Girl Scout publication), the credit goes to Loretta Scott Crew who reportedly would make the S’mores for her troop by the campfire. It’s unknown however, if the Girl Scouts are the first to concoct S’mores, as there are no earlier claims.
The word S’more’s is apparently a contraction of the words Some and More. Later shortened to “S’mores” however there aren’t any documented reasons as to why. One could speculate that the word came from campers who were attempting to ask for “some more” but were unable to speak the words because their mouths were filled with the marshmallow chocolate concoctions and could only speak the words S’more. That’s just my imagination though, don’t hold me to it.
Let’s start with the misenplace.
Today it’s simple, remove the wrappers from the Reese’s cups and set the cups aside. Also place the graham crackers in front of you horizontally and cut them in half.
Next, were going to place the 1/2 graham crackers on a baking sheet. Top each 1/2 graham with marshmallows.
Place the graham and marshmallows under a broiler. These took less than 30 seconds to turn golden brown. Pay close attention to them, do not put them under the broiler and walk away, you will be disappointed. After about 20-30 seconds pull them out from the broiler.
Without wasting much time, press a Reese’s cup into the middle of each toasted, marshmallowed-up graham cracker. The heat from the marshmallow will begin to melt the chocolate from the Reese’s cup.
Add the other 1/2 of graham crackers on top, and press down lightly. The result is a sticky, gooey mess that is called S’mores.
- I do not have a fire pit, or grill, so I used my broiler for this. The results were just as good.
- I added Reese’s cups, of course traditionally S’mores are made with Hershey’s Chocolates.
- I used honey graham crackers, I’ve always wondered how cinnamon graham would taste though.
- If you are looking for Chocolate overload, you could use chocolate graham crackers with Hershey’s Chocolates and chocolate marshmallows.
- I decided to use mini marshmallows for aesthetic reasons, but I believe the larger marshmallows would work also.